COVID turned things upside down. Schools and colleges generally choose to start the year in virtual mode. Social distancing continues to be the name of the game. It’s unclear how long this is going to last.
At these times of social distancing, Greek life is more important than ever. Sign ups are increasing strongly. No surprise after this cold period of social disconnect. So, how do you make sure to stand out?
Normally the start of a new year is characterized by a super active social life. new students finding their way to their dorms and unknown social lives. They are setting things up to make their next phase in life a good one.
How to go about making your sorority or fraternity stand out right now?
1. Put a clear policy together on COVID and communicate it well.
Whether you take a central approach across chapters or a local one, make sure to communicate that you have it and what the key components are. Students will care about you taking this serious. Or their parents will.
2. Get serious on social media.
The reasons for joining a sorority or fraternity have not changed. Offering balance during your studies and enduring relationships for career life on the long run remain critical.
What changed is how people connect though. Your presentation as a chapter will need to be excellent online. Take a serious look at how you show on key platforms. Appoint someone to benchmark the best practices out there. Make yours even stronger.
3. Think of ways to make your sorority or fraternity stand out, in light of these unprecedented times.
The messaging you’ve used in previous years could still be used. But think of ways to offer even more relevance at these special times.
Online connection is the most critical priority for the short and medium term.
Take a critical theme, like career readiness, as a differentiator.
This is where we come in. FindMino offers a refreshing approach to career exploration. This concerns both online exploration and connecting alumni with students.
Alumni offer (online) support to share their own career experience and learnings to students who are at the start of their careers.
It is a great way to have students meet alumni and have mutual benefits to connect. And it could work as an attraction to joining your sorority or fraternity.
What’s in it for students:
- First hand insight into careers they consider. It helps them in choosing the right majors and career paths (and avoid costly mistakes).
- An immediate connect with some alumni within their chapter. The bonding starts right there.
- Special theme-weeks could highlight topics that matter, like philanthropy, economy, environment, equality.
What’s in it for alumni:
- A helping hand to their chapter. Reaching out to new students could convince them to join the club.
- Access to younger generations. This gives them insight into their priorities, way of thinking about things. And what’s more, they might get access to potential new employees on the longer run.
This is what it looks like. We call it the Career Exploration Initiative. Check out this blog on what it is and how it works.
Interested ? Let’s talk. Send us an email at [email protected] and we get back to you right away.